Re: [TowerTalk] 160 M OCF antenna

To: "'David J. Ring, Jr.'" <n1ea@arrl.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160 M OCF antenna
From: "W4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 15:14:19 -0500

Wow!

Great information from all the responses.  I forgot to remark that the
"short" leg of my OCF is short because I only have about 89' to that Rohn
mast in the Olive tree.  That ends at the road and my front property line.
I do have well over 350' from the center support west to the ocean.

Many have suggested an inverted "L" and I would have done that except I have
no ground installed nor a transmitting variable handy for tuning it.

David, N1EA, suggested using twin lead to raise the impedance of an inverted
"L" and that sounds like a great idea.

This balun is a 4:1 current balun and worked well when this antenna was a
80M OCF dipole (nearly a flat 1:1 match at 3.6MHz .   I just left the long
leg of the 80M OCF dipole to the East in place and added the length to the
former "short end".  I'm going to raise the far end to about 30' and see if
that won't help.  BTW, it is almost a flat match 1.2:1 at 1.950 MHz in the
present configuration with a length of about 271'.

I may try an old trick I used before and make it a "traveling wave"
transmitting antenna by feeding it like a long grounded loop and use 50 ohm
termination at the far end.  Now if I can only find those big 50 ohm
terminators I built about 15 years ago!

Thanks for all the advise fellows.  This reflector is great!!

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

 Casey Key Island, Florida
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"