Re: [TowerTalk] long mast to bottom of tower

To: "Stone, Gary R." <Gary.Stone@va.gov>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] long mast to bottom of tower
From: "SJ W3TX" <superberthaguy@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 21:27:28 -0500
Gary,

ON4UN describes how he does exactly what you want to do...put the rotor at
the ground.  See any of the last two editions of Low Band Dxing. There are
many advantages to having the mast go up throught the tower stabilized with
bearings.

As far as installing it, I'd suggest doing it while the tower is going up,
or alternatively (if the tower is already up) having a mini crane do the job
from the top.  That way you could use 20ft sections.

Remember to have some kind of torque absorber in the system, and a way to
secure the mast when you service the rotor.

For a rotor I would recommend a small size 90v dc motor, a 2 stage Boston
Gear worm drive, and the Green Heron controller.  Another option would be an
old Prop Pitch...but the equipment is very old now.  You can build a
superstrong rotor from scratch using over-the-counter industrial parts.

73, Scott W3TX