[TowerTalk] Tower on top of a building?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower on top of a building?
From: "tom scott " <trscott@sterlink.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 14:32:46 -0800
I am working with a small school that has won an FCC LPFM100 (low power FM, 100
watt) broadcasting license (actually the FCC construction permit). The FCC has
approved us going up 36 meters above HAAT. The antenna load in this case is a
simple circularly polarized VHF (96.3 MHz) that is very little wind load or
weight.

For a variety of reasons, I was thinking I would like to put a tower on top of
the athletic building.

Our gymnasium building was originally a commercial industrial concrete tilt-up
structure with some stick-built office facade on the front. I was thinking we
might put a tower on top of the middle of the front wall of the tilt-up,
between the tilt-up and the stick built offices, almost in the middle of the
building, and then run two guys to the back corners of the tilt-up, and one
across the parking area to the planter strip next to the road in front.

I haven't yet tried to get this engineered, but wondered if anyone has any
experience doing this sort of thing. I have questions about guy anchors to the
concrete building, and building codes. Should I find an engineer with real
tower experience, or can any good structural engineer do the job?

I guess I just want to have an idea what we should be able to do before we
spend money on an engineer.

The building is around thirty or forty feet tall, so the tower would only have
to go up another sixty or seventy feet more.

Thanks!