Re: [TowerTalk] Free standing tower advice needed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Free standing tower advice needed
From: <Robert_Redoutey@Dell.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:23:22 -0600
I would take a close look at Heights Towers BEFORE you decide on them. I
made the mistake of buying their 72 ft, (25 sq ft load)from them, with
the tilt over base. Due to the fact that the collars that went between
the joints over the tower legs did not fit (large gaps, can show you the
pictures)around the legs, there was a tremendous amount of play and
noise from the tower.

They kept telling me that it couldn't be, but after hiring another ham
to drive 2 hrs to my house, he believed me, but then never did have a
solution. He brought out some new sections, but in the long run, never
did help.

Final solution was to completely take the tower down (antenna, cables,
etc off) and place shims (my suggestion) at each and every joint that
had a collar. Although it did not completely solve the problem, it no
longer has the amount of noise it use to have.

I know that they have good products, based on feed back from other
users, but also seem to lack the engineering on some of their
configurations.

It was a very expensive lesson learned. If I were to do it again, I
would go with a steel tower like some of the others that have been
discussed here.

Bob, N5KF
Georgetown, TX

Ps...the crank over part works great. 10 minutes from vertical to
horizontal with the electric motor.

Message: 1