Re: [TowerTalk] Burnishing Aluminun

To: "Gary E. Jones, Ph.D." <garyejones@cmaaccess.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Burnishing Aluminun
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 03:07:48 +0000
Gary:

    The folks on this reflector have frequently recommended using Scotchbrite
pads.  These pads are green plastic scouring pads and can be found at most home
supply stores such as Lowe's and Home Despot, probably in the paint department
or with the sandpaper.

     I followed this sage advice with my new antennas.  I used one piece of
Scotchbrite to burnish the ends of my antenna's element sections, both inside
the larger one and outside the smaller one where they would telescope together.
 I then applied a small amount of NoAlOx to these surfaces and rubbed it into
the metal with a second, clean piece of Scotchbrite.  The NoAlOx should not be
dripping off the metal, just a nice dull coating.  Using a second pad for the
anti-oxidant keeps the oxide flakes on the first cloth away from the
just-cleaned surface of the aluminum.

     Burnishing the outside surface of tubing is easy.  To get at the inside
surfaces, I wrapped a piece of Scotchbrite loosely around a large screwdriver
and rammed it into the end of the tube.  By pressing the blade against the side
of the tubing I was able to apply enough force to clean off the inner surface.
I used the same screwdriver technique and the second piece of Scotchbrite to
rub the NoAlOx into the inside of the tubing.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: "Gary E. Jones, Ph.D." <garyejones@cmaaccess.com>