Re: [TowerTalk] Direct Burial/Trench/DirecTV

To: "Mark Adams, PE" <msadams@buffalo.edu>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Direct Burial/Trench/DirecTV
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:29:31 -0500
Although my Dish Network satellite system is on the other end of the house
the control cables and feedlines for the C and Ku 11' dish run in the
conduit with my feed lines, rotator cable, and remote antenna switch control
cable all the way from the ham shack to the tower.  It also runs part way
with a CAT5e gigabit network cable.  So far I've had no problems with
interaction.

There are switching supplies and then there are  switching supplies.  The
ones for most computers have a pretty ratty output and quality varies from
just good enough to get the job done to pretty high quality.  That's one of
the reasons you find them from less than $30 to over $100.

My HF, VHF, and UHF stations are within 2 feet of one computer and about 4'
from a second computer.
I can set my 144/440 HT here on either desk and it'll work fine although any
closer to the computer cases and it will open the squelch.

There are no guarantees.  It pretty much depends on the individual
equipment, but here I've had no problems.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com