[TowerTalk] Fw: Antenna on high winds...

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fw: Antenna on high winds...
From: <ec1cwg@dxhunters.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 19:17:09 +0200
First of all, thanks a lot to Bob, Dan and Marc for their replies.

Bob: Thanks for share your experience with me.

Dan: On my case, I´d like to protect the tower over all cause if it
collapses down that could be a total disaster (even falling down completely
within my property). It´s a square self supported tower, made of steel 40ft
high. It´s 1.5 ft wide (x 4 sides) and it weights 441 pounds. It´s pulled
into a cemented base with 15000 pounds of concrete (that´s too much but got
a bussiness with a company that did the work for me for free and asked them
to put a solid installation...ha!). Anyway, I went to the link you gave me
on your mail and it doesn´t work out (it didn´t this afternoon will check
again later)

Marc: My Optibeam has a square boom but I think it wouldn´t affect so much
as Bob stated.

Assuming that I´m planning to install a rotative dipole for 7Mhz 6ft or so
over the yagi that´s what I asked. Not worried about the yagi (neither about
my T2X) but the dipole should be mounted offering the less wind load. If I
put the Ob with the element tips into the wind, the dipole should be
installed parallel to the yagi´s dipole...right?..73s!
EC1CT Fernando
E-mail: ec1cwg@dxhunters.com
URE & ARRL member

The OptiBeam design gives you the lowest wind load when the element ends
are pointed into the wind.  This is not the case for all yagi designs.
You should run the calculations to determine if the boom or elements
provides more wind load.  Barring that do what the manufacturer says.
My OptiBeams, OB16-3 and 40 Moxon  have survived very high winds here,
including a sustained hurricane a few years ago.  I point mine with the
element ends into the winds.  My little Force 12 C3E rides winds out
best with the boom end into the wind.  Yesterday was a "normal" spring
day here with gusts measured as high as 42 mph.  Just a light breeze
today, blowing about 20 mph right now.  Not a good place for wimpy
towers or beams.  73 bob de w9ge