[TowerTalk] Is that really Rohn?

To: <terry@ab5k.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Is that really Rohn?
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 16:23:59 +0000
I looked at the .jpg at the link:

http://www.ab5k.net/images/LoranTowerLeg.jpg

It appears that the 'inner' section is a tube
welded inside the outer, not a swaged reduction, like Rohn.
Additionally, I've never seen Rohn 25 with a welded-
on slug on the outside...visible just under the
rust-through section.

Is it possible this was a knock off, rather than
actual Rohn?  Or, is my experience with Rohn 25 more
limited than I thought?

Based on the pic, it appears to me that the rust developed
where the tower wasn't galvanized...on the inner tube, inside,
above the weld, and on the lower surface of the aforementioned slug.

It suggests that the structure was not hot-dip galvanized after welding,
which was a Rohn spec.

N2EA