Re: [TowerTalk] Painting antennas

To: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>,"towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Painting antennas
From: Jack - K4WSB <K4WSB@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 14:01:42 -0400
We had a friend, N4QU, who was the Radio Op on a sulphur ship running
between Tampa & Port Sulphur.  Needless to say between the salt and the
sulphur everything took a beating on the boat.
He tried many things trying to make antennas last.  The thing he found with
Krylon  was after a short time the paint would crack and moisture would get
in creating numerous problems.  After many attempts he decided that nothing
was worth the effort and when the antenna wore out he would simply replace it.

At 01:29 PM 4/29/2006 -0400, K8RI on Tower talk wrote:

>Hello TTers,
>Would like to know if any of you have some experience with antenna´s
>painting. I´d like to add an extra protection to the aluminium elements of
>my yagi. Would it affect the performance of the antenna on any way??...would
>it be advisable?..Thanks!
>

>I use clear Krylon which is suggested in the assembly instructions of my C3i
>VHF and UHF antennas.  OTOH I'm not sure how long the stuff lasts.
>
>Roger Halstead (K8RI and ARRL 40 year Life Member)
>N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
>www.rogerhalstead.com
>EC1CT Fernando
>E-mail: ec1cwg@dxhunters.com