[TowerTalk] why not regalvanize?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] why not regalvanize?
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 19:01:54 +0000
A number of folks have said "not true" in response to my
observation that galvanizers won't touch a rusted structure.

My observation was based on a sample of one--a galvanizing
operation in south Jersey--which stated that mild surface rust is
fine, but any flaking rust might not come off, and if it did,
the impact on their acid bath would be more than they wanted.
They would only dip about 2/3 of the 100' Rohn 25 I took to them.
It had been up in the Poconos for about 8 years, and had internal
rust inside some of the legs.

Obviously, situations vary.

My comments about cost/freight stand.  It's a good way to go,
if you can work out the transportation.

N2EA