[TowerTalk] Kenwood Spike? FL7000 amplifier

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Kenwood Spike? FL7000 amplifier
From: KT2Q <dxdx@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 03:50:36 -0400
All:

My Yaesu FL7000 amplifier has a hyper-sensitive protection circuit (well
known problem) that trips easily with my Kenwood rig in SSB mode. This
doesn't happen in CW.

I tried using an Icom and another Kenwood to see if it was my specific
Kenwood that was causing the problem. As it turned out, both Kenwoods
(TS2000 TS570) caused the amplifier to trip in SSB.

The ICOM did not cause the amp to trip in SSB and I was able to drive it to
full output (500 watts) without problems.

What is it about the Kenwood rigs that would cause this problem? Is it an RF
spike issue when keying in SSB? Why doesn't the amp protection circuit trip
with the rig in CW mode?

Any ideas?

Tony KT2Q