[TowerTalk] Coax stub question

To: Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax stub question
From: "James C. Hall, MD" <heartdoc@nwtcc.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 15:32:07 -0500
Hello All:

I'm convalescing after back surgery and thoughts are running towards Field
Day - only a month away. I thought I would be useful and put together a coax
stub filter for the GOTA station. There was a recent article (I thought)
about using a switch to short or open the distal end of the stub and for
what bands this would be effective given a 1/4 wavelength on a particular
band. The GOTA station was prone to noise generated by the nearby CW and
phone stations. Those stations used ICE 419 bandpass filters and had no
problems. I would love to find that article - can't remember if it was QST,
CQ, or NCJ - but I will ask the great wisdom of this reflector. It's
basically a 3 band contest - 80, 40, and 20 - as there are no band
multipliers and the sunspots are minimal. Question is would I cut a 1/4
wavelength on 40M, which would be ~ 25 feet of RG-8 (I believe I actually
have a short run of BuryFlex) ?

73, Jamie
WB4YDL