Re: [TowerTalk] Liberal Arts Question on Dipole Antennas

To: "'Lee Buller'" <k0wa@swbell.net>,"'TowerTalk Reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Liberal Arts Question on Dipole Antennas
From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 08:21:30 -0700
Hi Lee,

Just a couple quick suggestions/comments, you'll surely get many more.

If you have or can get an antenna analyzer, try it right at the antenna,
without the coax.  Lossy coax will show a lower, not a higher SWR, but there
may be some other problem.

Depending on height, a dipole may have an impedance closer to 70 Ohms than
50, so you may be seeing some of that mismatch to the 50 Ohm coax..

Can you lower your 80 Meter dipole and test with it down?  That seems more
likely to be a possible interaction than the tower.

I agree that you should be able to obtain a better match than 1.8:1, but you
may not ever find that "perfect" match you are looking for.

Just my .02,

73 - JC, k0hps@amsat.org