Re: [TowerTalk] climbing AN-Wireless/Trylon type toweres (question)

To: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] climbing AN-Wireless/Trylon type toweres (question)
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 16:17:50 +0000
JC:

     I built a Trylon T-500-64 (64 feet tall) in the summer of 2001 and wrote
about this project on this reflector.  If you're interested you can search the
archives for May - November of 2001 for info.

     I constructed the tower exactly the way you're describing - piece by
piece, bolt by bolt.  The most critical part was getting the lower section
perfectly straight and plumb.  I used a level surface (piece of plywood with
shims as needed) on which I assembled the lower section.  I then suspended a
plumb bob from a wooden T-frame atop the section and lined up each leg with the
string.  Then I tightened each bolt to spec.

     Climbing the tower as it went up was not a problem.  I wore a pair of
sturdy work boots with good ankle support and found that I didn't get overly
tired from a few hours of work.  I was able to work from the inside until I got
to the forty-foot level.  Then I had to assemble the pieces from the outside,
as the tower was a bit snug from there to the top.  (I suppose that today I'd
have to go to the outside at the 32 foot level, but that's another story.)

     It took me about two hours per section to daisy-chain the pieces on a haul
rope, haul them up one at a time, and bolt them together.  In all I suppose it
took me a good twenty-four hours to assemble the eight sections and install the
rotator/bearing platroms, mast and rotator.

     Drop me a note if you have more questions.  Good luck.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>