Re: [TowerTalk] build up construction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] build up construction
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 14:30:10 -0400
This advice is a little dismaying to me.  At 54, I finally moved to a place
where a tower was possible.  I spent a lot of time on the contesting.com
reflector (this was before towertalk, if you can believe it), asking just the
sort of questions JC is asking.  When it was time for the construction, I was
fortunate enough to have a couple of experienced local hams who were willing to
give up several weekends advising and helping me.  Sure, I made some small
mistakes, and I was mighty sore each night, but I still count that as one of
the best ham experiences of my 51 years as a ham.  I learned what I could do,
and took great pride in having done it.  As a direct result, at age 65 I still
do a lot of my own work on the tower, but my experience tells me when it's time
to call in a pro, and I have a much clearer sense of my limitations than I
would if I had just signed a check.

So my advice to JC, I think, would be to listen to people like Gene, take your
time, get a helper or two with experience, and have at it.  If it takes you
more time, so be it.  Think through every move on the tower before you do it,
and never compromise safety, but go do it, and have fun.

73, Pete N4ZR