Re: [TowerTalk] How to ground a tower system?

To: "Rob @ Peg Pohorence" <mcyman@yahoo.com>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to ground a tower system?
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 00:32:06 +0000
Rob:

From: "Rob @ Peg Pohorence" <mcyman@yahoo.com>
> I just installed a Universal free standing aluminum tower.
>   I was told by  a local Ham , that I should put in at least 3 8ft ground
> rods
> about 3 ft from the tower bottom .
>   If I do that the wires will come off at a right angle, from the tower
> bottom
> to the grounding rods, is that acceptable?

No.  That wire should curve gently toward the ground rod beneath the surface.
Clamp the wire up higher on the tower leg so you can bend it into a curve of a
couple feet radius.

Also, if you have grass around the base of the tower, you might want to run
these ground wires into the ground through a short piece of garden hose.  Make
it long enough so that it starts a few inches below the surface, and so it
protects the wire for the first foot or so out of the ground.  That way your
lawn mower isn't as likely to nick the wires when (not IF) you run into them.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F