Re: [TowerTalk] re Gap Titan radials

To: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re Gap Titan radials
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 12:03:57 -0700
At 07:33 AM 6/12/2006, Rob Atkinson, K5UJ wrote:
>If you string out the radials for your Titan, it would be interesting to
>do an A/B test, With Radials and Without them, and report back here.

Tricky to do a real A/B because you'd have to remove the radials (not just
disconnect them) to get one of the test conditions.

If you had two of the antennas, you could set them up in similar
conditions, some distance apart, one with radials and one without, and
compare simultaneously.

What might be a way to do the test is to do a A/B/C comparison.

Set up a reference antenna (C) which doesn't change during the test.  It
could be a short dipole, or one of those short active whips.

Then, setup the Titan w/o radials.  Call that A.  Compare A and C over some
length of time, and record the average difference between them (let's
assume that our C antenna is kind of lame, so the A antenna is, on the
average 10 dB stronger).

Then roll out the radials.  Call that B.  Compare B and C... record the
differences.  See if they're significantly different than the A/C differences.

Jim, W6RMK