Re: [TowerTalk] re Radials

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re Radials
From: Dave Tipton <dave@lodave.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 06:46:31 -0700 (PDT)
Last weekend, at Hamcom, I was talking to one of the guys at Force 12, and he
pretty much confirmed what you said.  (My question was "Why 20 foot radials on
160Meters?  How's that gonna work?"

  Where it gets wierd, is that when you bury the radials, you can get away with
much shorter runs, primarily because 4 or 5 radials 20 feet long, will actually
couple to ground nicely if buried.  No need for full 1/4 wavelength radials if
they're under ground.. It all gets muddled pretty quickly once their an inch
under the surface.

  Now.. with all that said, I haven't verified this yet...  Just passing on
what one of the "Experts" told me.

  Dave, W3DMT

"Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com> wrote:
  It depends on whether or not you either bury them, lay them flat on the
ground or elevate them a significant distance in terms of wavelength. If
you bury them or lay them on the ground the 40 meter 1/4 w/l will be okay on
20. If you elevate them (for 7 mhz 6 feet would probably be okay) then I
think you need radials cut to each band you want to operate.

If you haven't bought your wire yet, you'll have to rob a bank first. I
heard last night that #14 and #12 cu wire prices have gone to the moon. A
guy I know paid $90 for 500' of #12 at one of the big box stores. 500' of
#14 is around $40. It was $15 two years ago.

rob / k5uj