[TowerTalk] Wire Rope - Hy-Gain HG70-HD Crank Up

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wire Rope - Hy-Gain HG70-HD Crank Up
From: wn0x@earthlink.net
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 20:46:56 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
I am rebuilding a well used HG-70HD.  At some point in its life the cables were
replaced.  It now has 3/8 inch wire rope for the lower sections and 1/4 inch
for the upper sections.  In both cases wire clamps were used instead of the
crimped fittings.

According to the manual, the lower section orginally had 3/16" wire rope, and
the upper section 1/4" wire rope.  I am concerned for the accuracy as the
manual has "HG-54HD" in places where it should have HG-70HD.

Is 3/8" correct?  If someone could actually check their HG-70HD to verify this
I would appreciate it.

I believe the 3/8" cable is causing problems, especially the very large cable
clamps.  If it is supposed to have 3/16" cable I would like to use that if
possible, as it will be easier to find a swaging tool.

Also, one of the pulleys has completely lost its brass bearing, the others are
very worn.  Has anyone found a source for these pulleys?  I will take them to a
machine shop tommorrow to see if they can replace them.

Thanks,

Rich Beckwith - WN0X