Re: [TowerTalk] Using Plenum Plenum Cable

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using Plenum Plenum Cable
From: kd4e <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:40:45 +0800
> Does anyone have any experience with plenum rated cable being used outdoors?
> I'm curious if the white outer sheath will stand up to the outdoor elements,
> especially UV, or if it will harden and crack.
> Tnx Doug K4DDR

I was told that it is OK for a few years.  We were
given some white and some orange cable and the budget
required that we use it or have fewer antennas.  We
did have some RG8/U and where possible ran the indoor
cable inside and the RG8 up the tower, but that was
only possible for the tri-band HF beam.

We used it back at the Seminary Club station in
MA in the early 80's and it stood up fine for the
several years I was there.

It saw less southern sun than New England cold!

The survivability may depend on where, geographically,
you use it.

I suppose you could always make a point of running it
up the North side of a tower leg -- thus minimizing
direct exposure to the sun.

73, doc kd4e