Re: [TowerTalk] newbie question on inverted-L's, tuners, and radials

To: "Eugene Hertz" <ehertz@tcaf.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] newbie question on inverted-L's, tuners, and radials
From: "hasan schiers" <schiers@netins.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:10:10 -0500
Hi Eugene,

My comments are interspersed in your posting. I run an inverted L for 80m
with full radial field and I LOVE the DX Engineering radial plate...first
rate, stainless steel hardware...very nicely done, with clamping available
for a ground mast ...it's nicely done.

First of all, if you run a long wire, without any consideration for
resonance and feed it as an inverted L, you have several things to consider.

1. If you go straight up for 40' and then straight out or sloped out for the
remainder, you can have a VERY good inverted L for 80 meters, assuming a
total length of 67'. However, that same length on 40m will be a half wave
vertical and will present a VERY high impedance (2000 ohms or greater) at
the base that your tuner could have a really bad problem with. It would do a
good job of radiating (very efficient), if you could match it properly.

2. Considering it as an inverted L, as the vertical portion gets longer
witih respect to wavelength, the radiation angle or take-off-angle will
start to tilt up ...when you get much higher than 5/8 wave for the vertical
section, you will lose most of your DX performance. In the case of a 67'
total length wire, with 40' being vertical, you will get excellent dx
performance (assuming a decent radial system and acceptable soil conditions
in your area) on 80, 40 and 30 meters. Once you approach .75 wavelength, the
pattern really starts going up severely.

To avoid endless speculation:

Download a free copy of ELNEC from Roy Lewallen's site and model the antenna
...change the freq and you will see the effect of having the wire too long,
and you will also see the effect of freq on the feedpoint impedance.