Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Cable

To: dave@lodave.org, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Cable
From: K6TFZ@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:52:27 EDT
>Ok, so I'm sure it's been asked before, but is there any real problem  with
using Category 5 >cable to control a Ham IV?  This is going to be  about a 100
foot run (Thinking 90, but just >being conservative).

> I just happen to have scads of it laying around  and thought it might be an
inexpensive alternative.

The manual claims a max resistance of 0.8 ohms for terminals 1 and 2, 2.0
ohms for terminals 3 through 8. It also lists wire sizes of 18 gauge for T 1-2
and 20 gauge for T 3-8 for a maximum run of 125 feet.

Cat 5 cable is 24 gauge and has a resistance of 3.1 ohms per 100 feet.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Geoff, K6TFZ