Re: [TowerTalk] Arc During Lightning Storm

To: "Mike W2LO" <rfman45@hotmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Arc During Lightning Storm
From: "Chuck O'Neal" <cdoneal@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 21:24:46 -0400
You are hearing induced voltage arcing to a ground or perhaps differentially
across the power line across the closest spacing in the wiring due to a much
larger CURRENT produced in the lightening arc.

Think of the lightening discharge in terms of  a  large transformer with the
current in the lightening "bolt" as the current in the primary winding and
the wiring in your home as the secondary for a brief moment in time.  If the
induced voltage exceeds the breakdown voltage ratings in air for the
spacings in your wiring, it will arc.  The closer the lightening, the
greater the current induced.  Unless you have a direct or really close hit,
these induced arcs are relatively low in energy content but unnerving
anyway!

Chuck...K1KW