Re: [TowerTalk] What diameter guywire for a 20ft mast - 2mveticalantenna

To: "'Craig Sharrow'" <craig@sharrow.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What diameter guywire for a 20ft mast - 2mveticalantenna? Sources?
From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 14:03:19 -0700
The Radio Shack stuff should be more than enough as long as it remains
taught (use turnbuckles) and in good condition.  I live across the bay from
you and I have a similar push up mast, only mine is 40' and is unguyed.  It
is simply slid into a 2.5" steel pipe I built into the roof last time we
reroofed and at the top it supports a 5L, 2-meter Yagi and the center of an
inverted vee.  Down lower, about 10 ft. above the roof, there is a fixed,
435 MHz corner reflector (for ATV) and a fixed 2-meter/440 MHz Yagi.  Until
recently there was also a fixed, 7L 220 MHz Yagi at approximately the 20 ft.
point.  All this has been up there for many years, including through the big
storm that blew down the giant commercial tower on Mt. Diablo a few years
back.  I never intended to keep it unguyed, it just worked out that way.

I'm not recommending you go without the guys... you may get more wind than
we do, but for a 20' mast with a small antenna like that anything that would
be used for a TV antenna (Radio Shack stuff) should be fine.

73 - JC, K0HPS