Re: [TowerTalk] Portable Phased Arrays!

To: "Paul Playford" <paul@w8aef.com>, "Dino Darling" <dino@k6rix.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Portable Phased Arrays!
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 06:53:09 -0700
At 10:26 PM 6/27/2006, Paul Playford wrote:
>You may want to consider parasitic feed.  That could simplify phasing a bunch.

Phasing is about the same regardless: you need an LC network for each
element, and having active feed to all elements allows a bit more freedom,
because you don't have to depend only on mutual coupling to excite the
parasitic radiators.  This is especially important when you have to
tolerate arbitrary arrangements of the elements.

 From a deploy and setup standpoint, you already have to have a cable
running to each element anyway, so you can do the tuning and/or switch
things for calibration.  So, overall, no real savings from a parasitic
strategy.

I do note that if you have a fixed arrangement of single band antennas, and
they're reasonably close together (< 3/8 wavelength) tuned parasitic
elements can be very effective.  There's been quite a lot of traffic about
just such schemes for the WLAN frequencies in IEEE Trans on Ant and Prop in
the last couple years.  Nothing there would surprise a ham who's been
following the various "use tuned slopers off a vertical" schemes over the
years.

>And you may find that vertical dipoles are quicker to deploy (depending on
>the frequency)

I would imagine that the scheme, when I get it working, would "work" with
any sort of radiator.  I've got my hands full with just the control and
metrology, so I didn't want to also have to design and build antennas, so I
chose something off the shelf and inexpensive to fool with. I'm using
trapped verticals for now (and, they're useful for other things in the mean
time).  I have looked at other radiator ideas.. a compact loop is
attractive, but band switching is slow with most off-the-shelf
implementations.