Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna gain

To: "TOWERTALK Reflector" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna gain
From: "Jim Miller" <JimMiller@STL-OnLine.Net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:01:25 -0500
His parents are very supportive and are glad he has become interested in a
hobby where he is receiving the help and assistance and information from other
hams and not doing something else he could be.  He got interested, read about
it and got his license almost entirely on his own and is now asking a lot of
questions.  His mother is just thinking and asking questions.  I was in the
process of preparing a presentation on RF Safety to the club and had read the
OET65 some time ago and was just going over the Supplement B again when this
whole thing came up and Ryan came to our club.  I showed her OET65 and Sup B
and OET56 and the URLs where she could get copies of them and my scratch sheet
from my station with references to pages and figures where the figures came
from.  I explained the effect of variation of frequencies, power levels, and
antenna gain and the definition of and difference between controlled and
uncontrolled and she is now comfortable with his intended installati
 on.  I also explained the better installation of getting it up in the air if
possible.  She is going to give the task of research and evaluation to Ryan and
monitor the process but with my explanation to her, is now comforted that there
will not be a problem and knows the safe distances. for his equipment.  Nice to
run into intelligent, questioning , non-confrontational, supportive parents
dedicated to their kids once in a while.

Try this:  ask the next ham you see if he/she has any documentation (scratch
paper or ANYTHING) showing they have done or do not need to do the evaluation
or even thought about it.  Most likely you will get a "what"?  Don't be
surprised.  I know, you signed or will have to sign when you get or renew your
license that you have read and understand the regulations.

Excuse the soap box please,

Tnx es 73, de Jim KG0KP