[TowerTalk] Passive Repeater Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Passive Repeater Antenna
From: "WA3GIN" <wa3gin@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:56:23 -0400

Looking for comments from those that have used passive repeater antenna
systems. Our local repeater has excellent coverage in the DC/NOVA area but the
area is rimmed by ridges to the west which shadow large areas of NOVA.  We
thought we'd take a page from the cellular folks and install a passive repeater
antenna at the ridge with 5 ele pointed back at the repeater antenna and a 2 or
4 element beam pointing toward the weak reception area.

We're looking for recommendations as to the gain of the antenna pointing to the
weak signal area.  Our thinking is low gain fat pattern rather than higher gain
and less coverage.

73,
dave
wa3gin
W4AVA Repeater 146.625 -  PL107.2 420ft ASL