Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Question

To: <N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Question
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 14:23:59 -0500
This question would be more appropriate on the TowerTalk reflector... but
here's my thoughts...

I had a HyGain TH5DXX at 90 feet for 15 years and this antenna played well. It
uses a dual driven element which gives it a little wider bandwidth. I donated
this antenna to my brother, KD8FS, who has had it up the past 10 years in
Michigan. We both have used it on RTTY with 1 KW.

I do not have experience with the A4S. From the specifications the Cushcraft is
lighter (37 lbs vs. 57 lbs). This antenna has an optional 40-meter kit, the
HyGain doesn't.

The HyGain has a couple extra sq ft of surface area, which I would attribute to
heftier construction. Performance-wise, I doubt you would tell much difference
between these two antenna at 60 feet.

Price-wise, the heavier Hy Gain costs an extra $60. I would base my decision on
your local environmental conditions... here in Minnesota we get ice storms and
high winter winds. I bet my money on the Hy Gain to survive longer.

73 de Bob - K0RC

Antenna Question
Posted by: "Professional Home Inspections" mackanos@rpa.net   pmackanos
Sat Jul 1, 2006 9:42 am (PST)
If you had the choice, which antenna would you mount on a crank-up tower,
about 60 feet to the antenna?

A Hygain TH5-MK2

A Cushcraft A4S

And WHY ??