Re: [TowerTalk] Numbered wires

To: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>,<TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Numbered wires
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 08:27:48 -0700
At 08:07 AM 7/2/2006, K8RI on Tower talk wrote:

> [...]

You can do a wide trace and a narrow trace to get two digits.

>Custom wires are, or were available with numbers up into the hundreds, but
>they required large purchases and they were expensive.

That depends on who you buy it from (and what you consider expensive). I
was surprised at how inexpensive it was to get a weird custom cable made
up.  I was looking for something like copper braid over a rope core (coax
without the inner dielectric and conductor) to replace 4/0 cable.  It was a
high current, fast rise time application, so the copper in the middle was
worthless because of skin effect.  It was actually cheaper to get my weird
thing than it was to buy the 4/0, just because the processing was cheaper
than the copper.

The process of putting the numbers in is not a whole lot different than
those machines they wind the wire on at the hardware store that have the
little roller that measures the length.  A skinny roller about 12-18 inches
in circumference has little holes to put the type into and they heat it up,
and run the wire through.  Doing a couple hundred feet takes about 5
minutes, if you do it by hand, and we're not talking about a $100/hr person
doing the work.  Most of the time is waiting for the type wheel to get hot.

However, as 'RI points out, little tiny printed numbers are pretty hard to
read.

I'd go for color stripes.  Cheaper, and readable from any side.