Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding base slab and pier tower bases

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding base slab and pier tower bases
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 18:03:34 -0000
20' isn't all that much rebar.  There's probably that much in a 3'x3'x4'
block for rohn 25/45 type base when its done right.  And I would be
surprised if anyone could put such a limit on 'absorption' by a ufer ground
like that, sounds like something pulled out of thin air to me.  The truth
is, concrete is a pretty darn good conductor in its own right, especially in
ground where it stays relatively moist.  The whole reason for concrete
encased ground rods is to improve the conductivity and spread the current
out more so that the current density is lower when it gets into the
surrounding soil that is a worse conductor.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net