Re: [TowerTalk] generators/transfer switches etc Re: YetAnotherLightning

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] generators/transfer switches etc Re: YetAnotherLightning Strike
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 01:46:49 -0400

> At 06:38 PM 7/8/2006, Clay Curtiss W7CE wrote:
>
>> > I'm thinking of getting rid of that 9500 watt portable and installing a
>> > permanent 15 to 20 KW natural gas fired unit. First thing they'd do
>> > would
>> > be
>> > shut off the gas and they'd not even have to worry about transfer
>> > switches.
>> > That old 9500 has had over 100 hours of use in the last 5 years.
>> >

>>I have an 8 KW unit that is permanently installed and runs on natural gas.
>
> Around here (southern CA), the most likely natural disaster that would
> cause an outage is an earthquake, which would shut off the gas at the

Michigan hasn't had an earthquake in a very long time. (I don't count the
salt mines under Detroit colapsing). However we have felt a few from way
down south from the New Madrid area. I shouldn't say "we". I've never flelt
one, but a few claim to have.   Up here the land is such that an earthquake
would do a lot of damage over hundreds, if not thousands of square miles.

> meter, if not further up the chain.  Diesel or propane are probably better
> bets in some areas.  One advantage of natural gas is that the air quality
> regulatory issues are easier.  A permanently installed standby generator
> running on gas and/or diesel is going to probably require a permit, if
> only
> for the periodic tests.

Man, but I'm glad I don't live in CA for a number of reasons.

My 9500 watt unit has a 19HP engine

> There might be a "safe harbor" exemption for single family dwelling sorts
> of applications or for tiny generators (<10HP, I think), but for a
> business, you're definitely on the hook.  And, if you run your generator
> in
> a non-emergency situation (e.g. during a Stage 2 or 3 alert, but before
> the
> outage has occurred) there's a whole 'nother raft of rules you need to be
> aware of.

The only rules I have to worry about is that the connection is incapable of
back feeding.
No permits required for periodic testing, but I do try to make it in the
middle of the day so I don't wake any one up. (We also have "right to
carry")

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com