Re: [TowerTalk] Generator Sizing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Generator Sizing
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 15:18:37 -0400

> Greetings:
>
> I am no expert in power generators.  BUT, I do know that there is a BIG
> consideration in sizing generators that could come into play.  Buying
> extra large
> units could cost you big bucks in maintenance costs.

True, but there are many things to take into consideration when sizing a
generator. The end result is a compromise. Often it is a large compromise.
You also have to define extra large unit as what you may see as extra large
I may see as barely sufficient.

The first thing you need to know is your peak demand. (This not every thing
on with every motor starting)  Then how much safety factor are you going to
allow?  Typical is to set the peak demand at 50 and no more than 75% of the
generator design rating. OR do you quite possibly wish to set the whole
thing up with the capability meeting the demand of absolutely every thing on
with every motor going through its start cycle at the same time?

You never use the peak demand as the size of the generator except for non
critical, intermittent use with no voltage sensitive devices connected. BTW
that refrigerator motor is probably one of the most voltage sensitive
devices in the house.

> With something in the order of 15-20 or more KW, you run  serious danger
> of

15 to 20 KW would not be over size for me and probably not for many if not
most on this group. My 9500 can not supply the whole house, let alone run at
65% most of the time.  Also, well designed, large generators tend to have
better voltage regulation over a wider range than the smaller units.

> damaging the unit if it is not being used at something like 65% of rated

The load varies over a very wide range in most homes. For the engine this is
good. For voltage regulation it is not.  It's normal to see the load vary
from 10% to near 90% and we try to avoid coming close to the full generator
rating.  If I were to try to stay under 75% at peak I'd need at least a 20
KW installation.

Voltage regulation is at its poorest near each end of the range.  It just
happens that a constant load of 65% should give the best regulation at the
nominal design voltage.  Also, if possible, get the low RPM design which
will be quieter.

Motors such as refrigerators, freezers, furnaces, water pumps, and
air-conditioners create the most variability.

Where those really hurt is the peak starting current.

> output.  I cannot recall, but I think the rings, valves, etc.  do not fair
> well

Rings and valves need a varying load (and speed which they won't see in a
generator installation) to seat well.

If engines have not been pre run it'd be a good idea to fire up the system,
let it run for a few minutes at no load and then turn on every thing you can
find and let it run for about a day. (12-24 hours). Keep close track of oil
usage.  Mine didn't use any in the first 100 hours.  OTOH the system will
*probably* work just fine for many years if you just hook it up and let it
do its normal weekly cycle.

NOTE********

For the vast majority of homes you run far more danger of damage (more like
premature aging) to the engine from sitting without running than you do from
running it "unloaded." Remember diesel truck engines spend a good portion of
their lives at idle.

*************

> when running  a low percentage of capacity.  We  installed 25+ KW units in
> Kuwait
> at customer's insistence and despite strong  warnings from the supplier
> (ONAN?).  Accordingly,

This might be a problem for large generators that run continuously but
should not be a concern for a unit used intermittently.  It's rare for a
home back up unit to run more than a few hours at a time although we've had
several outages that lasted close to two days.

When it comes to fuel consumption you have to be careful about
generalizations.  The engine in my 9500 watt unit uses about half the fuel
my little portable 4 KW used.  With the 10 gallon tank full and the
generator heavily loaded it'll run all night long with a good reserve.

> we installed large load banks to heat up the Kuwait air to  keep units at
> decent percentage of ratings.

Were those load banks switched in and out?  Typically we do that in industry
for load regulation and not the health of the engine.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com