Re: [TowerTalk] Ground to ground lightning? I doubt it.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground to ground lightning? I doubt it.
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:04:27 -0000
Likely just a forked stroke coming down hitting 2 spots almost at the same
time.  multiple strokes in the same flash can often hit thousands of feet
apart, the national lightning detection network has an algorithm that groups
strokes hitting within a short time (.5 sec I think) and a small area
(1000'?) into a common event called a 'flash'... when looking at lightning
statistics data you have to keep in mind that each flash could represent
many strokes spread over a fairly large area.

Note, that 'sideflashes' are common, lightning hitting a tree, tower, wire,
or building, will often leave the object to hit something else part way
down.  This is well documented in many fatal strokes to people standing near
trees or other objects.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net