Re: [TowerTalk] Second floor Shack

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Second floor Shack
From: "Cam and Juli Hedrick" <walnutcreek@appstate.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:39:25 -0400
My station is located on a second floor.  I'm feeding open wire, long wire,
Loops and etc. from it with no RF issues at the legal limit.  My ground
system for the shack has a ground buss with two (one from each end) 8 gauge
solid copper wires tied into 4 = 8' ground rods.  Those are tied into the
tower ground grid and commercial ground.  Of course this station also has a
stream within 30' of the ground rods and the ground rods extend below the
stream bed level into Limestone clay.

Feeding voltage feed antennas has not been a problem, but lightning has hit
this station many times, so polyphasers abound.  Being near water plays with
antenna performance in a good way, I've lived at the same elevation in dry
locations, and the ground grid was similar, but I'm hearing and talking to
stations I couldn't from that location on a regular basis.

A good ground is important to safety and station performance, and no
artificial ground can duplicate a true earth ground.  My humble opinion!
73,
Cam
WA4JKW