[TowerTalk] securing a rotor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] securing a rotor
From: el34guy@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:07:21 -0400
Hello Everyone,

I guess since its about 100 degrees at my qth now I should consider
swapping out a rotor. I have a worm drive hallicrafters I want to put
up in my rohn ssv tower. The rotor secures to the tower not on a plate
but with 3 horizontal threaded rods(5/8 fine) at each pole with a
clamp. The diameter of the tower leg is 1.25 inches and its solid. The
clamp allows on one side the threaded rod to be secured with a 5/8 nut
and on the other side are 2 smaller bolts for tightness adjustment to
the tower leg. This looks like an ok way to do it. The threaded rod Im
using is grade 8. At the location my rotor needs to go in the tower the
spacing is about 24 inches on a side. With the diameter of the rotor at
around 7 inches it looks like my rod length needs to be around 12-14
inches or so with some slop built in. I have a 2'' rohn thrust bearing
at the top of the tower.

My question is is the rod length too much for a really good robust fit
in the tower? I think it was made for a tower that was a little
narrower that what I have. Ive never not connected to a horizontal
plate with a rotor before. The bearing will support most of the weight
of the antenna. Its a 40ft boom 7 element 20 meter logcell. I just want
to be sure the rotor doesnt move or twist. I know 5/8 is pretty strong
but just want a reality check.

What do you guys think? Is there another better way to secure this
rotor to the tower? The only other concern I have is that I dont want
to make the connection too robust as to break off the threaded rod
connection in the head if the rotor.

Sorry for any vagueness here, Id never seen a setup like this before to
be honest. Its a great rotor, just a little funky to secure in a big
tower.

Thanks

Mark
W0NCL