Re: [TowerTalk] scarecrows

To: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>, <jgroover6@comcast.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] scarecrows
From: "Chuck Lewis" <clewis@knology.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:05:26 -0500
Having been a Wildlife rehabber for about 15 years (until XYL & I decided to
reclaim our lives), I can assure everyone that Herons are not to be messed
with without training and eye protection. Likewise large raptors. With
Herons, watch the head; with raptors, watch the feet. A trained and
experienced animal rescue person can make it look easy; it's not. Raptors
will roll on their backs talons-up as a defensive posture; don't mistake
that for a sign of submission! The beak of even large hawks like Redtails
will pinch a bit, but their feet can penetrate welder's gloves, and they
don't like to let go (don't ask me how I know this). With Herons, the neck
and head are deceptively quick and strong, even when they are debilitated
enough to be cornered and captured. Aside from the legal issues, these guys
don't just hurt...they can HARM. Forewarned is forearmed!

A bit OT, but still classifiable as tower safety, IMO.

Chuck, N4NM