Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: [SteppIR] 3El height

To: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: [SteppIR] 3El height
From: "Bill" <w7vp@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 08:04:49 -0700
Nice response Jim.  One comment regarding the statement that "The
composite wave strength may be greater or less than that from the driven
element alone. . ."  This may be true in the sense that the field strength
is greater in some parts of the spherical spectrum and weaker in others.
There is still a total field strength that cannot be multiplied without
violating the first law of thermodynamics.  The design of the antenna array
is  to purposely distort that field so that there is a higher radiated
strength in a chosen direction or directions and the trick is to understand
how to do the distorting to achieve the desired goal.   That is probably
what the books with all the tirg were saying.  Understanding fields was on
of the tougher subjects, for me, at least, in engineering school and
translates into an incredibly complex subject when applied to antennas.
Fortunately finite element methods have in many ways superseded pure math in
analyzing antennas as evidenced by the popularity of the NEC type programs
and their ease of use for those not familiar with the complex math involved
in field analysis. The unfortunate part of finite element analysis is that
it does not convey the underlying principles involved.  That is one of the
reasons why your cogent comments are so much appreciated by old retreads
like me.

73
Bill
W7VP