Re: [TowerTalk] HF Mobile Info Query

To: TowerTalk Post <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HF Mobile Info Query
From: Jim Idelson <k1ir@designet.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 07:48:47 -0400
Don't jump to conclusions about the source of the noise without doing some
testing. It's easy to suspect spark plug wires, but after spending money and
time you may well find that they are not the issue. In my 1999 BMW, I found
that the exhaust system, hung by rubber vibration dampers, was the primary
radiator. I suggest you use a VHF handheld set to AM mode and roughly 150MHz
with a simple "sniffer" antenna to scan the car and seek the highest strength
of the noise. You may well find that it isn't under the hood. Grounding/bonding
techniques often have the greatest impact.

Jim Idelson K1IR
email    k1ir at designet.com
web    http://www.k1ir.com