Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Resistance

To: k1ttt@arrl.net, "reflector -tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Resistance
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 21:19:48 -0700
At 03:25 PM 8/8/2006, David Robbins K1TTT wrote:
>Way, yes... simple, not really.  There are meters made for measuring ground
>system resistance, but they rely on either a very good reference ground
>nearby, or a couple of rods spaced the right distances apart to act as a
>reference.  Its been some years since I used one so I forget the exact
>process, but its spelled out in detail in the manuals.  The one I used last
>was made by Biddle if I remember correctly.  Check with a local electrician
>or electric company crew, they may have one and could make the measurements
>for you.  Or the meters can be rented from electronic rental places if you
>want to do it yourself.

And, of course, such a meter would measure at some frequency OTHER than the
HF frequency you're actually interested in.

I suppose one could do something like measure the received signal strength
from a fixed beacon, and keep adding radials until the difference is "small
enough"..  Lots of traps here for the unwary, the vagaries of propagation
being but one.
Jim