Re: [TowerTalk] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines

To: w7why@verizon.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines
From: N0OEL@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 01:08:19 EDT
Tom wrote:

At a local campground where we camp, there are some power lines just as you
go into the campground.  When listening to the AM radio, the signal  always
gets much stronger as I drive right under the lines.  I've  always wondered
what would happen if I sat under them with a mobile and  transmitted.  Maybe
it would act like an amp :-)  73
Tom  W7WHY

Nothing would happen.    Do you go on the air of a AM radio  station when you
pass it on the highway?   No.      They are transmitting on your AM radio
RECEIVE frequency and you won't get into  their transmission.   That is unless
their nearby transmitter audio  sectionis wide open and unusually open to
intermod.   I  would doubt that.    By the way under FCC law they can transmit
very low power signal on the broadcast band than cant go beyond a certain
number
 of feet.   They do the same at drivein theaters to replace the drivein
speaker we all remember from the good old days!     But who  ;paid attention to
movie audio in those days?

-Mike
K0BUD