Re: [TowerTalk] A reasonable 40/80 Dipole -

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A reasonable 40/80 Dipole -
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 22:29:39 -0700
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:11:37 -0500, Uncle Budd wrote:

>With the demise of W9INN last year, where can I find a trapped
40/80 dipole?  I found some 40M traps from a company called
Hypower (www.freewebs.com/hypower)

I bought one of Barry's 80/40 dipoles that uses a loading coil for
80 as a trap for 40. I used it in Chicago for several years on my
dimensionally challenged city lot, and it worked fine on both
bands. I also bought several sets of his loading coils to do
essentially the same thing for a shortened 160/80 dipole. One
antenna made using those coils has been up in the air at W6BX for
several years, and works VERY well. I used another pair to build a
second one of them and used it on Field Day last year. When I
moved to CA this spring, I put it up on the air here, and I'm
pleased with it.

At both QTH's, the 80/40 saw a lot of my TenTec Titan at about 1
kW during contests, and is none the worse for wear.

My only criticism is that the way the loading coils connect to the
antenna wire could be done in a more rugged fashion to make it
withstand high winds at a QTH like W6BX, but it's not hard to
rebuild it with your own wire to do that. And even as they come,
the Hypower antennas are better than what W9INN used to do (I
tried one of his antennas for W6BX a year or so before he died,
hated it, and sold it at a hamfest).

73,

Jim Brown K9YC