Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated Vertical with No Radials on Metal Roof

To: Robert Bogash <rbogash@centurytel.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated Vertical with No Radials on Metal Roof
From: <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 10:04:43 -0500
Hi Bob,

Since nobody else seems interested in responding seriously to your
question....

SteppIR and ZeroFive are correct: depending on the size of the roof (and
for most average sized houses, it's fine) the metal roof will be God's gift to
radial systems.

Remember, the whole idea of radials, particularly in ground-mounted
applications, is to emulate as closely as possible a continuous sheet of
metal, which your roof is.

You do need to connect the roof to the radial attachment point of the
antenna.

Some things to watch for, however: RFI is one. Have an intermittent or
slightly corroded connection at a seam and you're in for RFI.

Lightning is another consideration. One, I think, to be aware of, but not to
dismiss the idea of a roof antenna. Making sure you provide a solid,
low-impedance path to ground, will be key. There are lightning experts
here who can advise better than I.

73, kelly
ve4xt