Re: [TowerTalk] B & W Antenna( was 2006 top ten)

To: "'Larry Phipps'" <larry@telepostinc.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] B & W Antenna( was 2006 top ten)
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:01:54 -0400
Larry,

Looking at the (sparse) information available on the SGC web site.
it looks like the SGC-103 and SCG-104 are classic "wideband folded
dipoles."  The length is given as 90 feet (27 meters) and frequency
coverage is given at 2-28 MHz.  Both of those match the classic
WBFD numbers and the drawings appear to be much like the others.

I need to play with EZNEC a while ... given the complexity of the
WBFD (18:1 transformer and high power loading resistor), I wonder
if it would not be possible to construct a G5RV like antenna with
parallel wires (spaced 2 feet) that would have low SWR on all the
amateur bands between 3.5 and 30 MHz.  It would not fill the need
of commercial/military for an ALE ready antenna but it would be a
"cheap and dirty" antenna for amateur use that would not incur
the 3 to 6 dB penalty from the WBFD "terminating resistor."

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV