Re: [TowerTalk] And now for something completely different (TrueNorth)-

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] And now for something completely different (TrueNorth)- was Re: Mast -- Drill or not?
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 00:34:16 -0400
From: "Robert Chudek - KØRC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 11:03 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] And now for something completely different (True
North)- was Re: Mast -- Drill or not?

> HEY!!! Did I hear someone asking how to determine "True North"?!?!?!?!?
> It was kinda hard to hear over the S-9 Hoot Owl thread and +20 dB
> generator noise right now... :-)
>
> As everyone knows, there's been enough threads regarding finding "True
> North" to weave a fine pair of socks... But that aside, you can use Goggle
> Earth to determine "that direction" using their tool to zoom into any
> location in question. The map defaults to N/S orientation.
>
> I verified my antenna alignment by picking a known object a half mile away
> from my tower. In my case it happens to be the east side of a church down
> the road. Not all areas on earth have been mapped with high resolution
> yet, so this technique might not work for everyone.

Here's not too bad. Just point it where the compass says and then add about
6 degrees.  The antenna will never know if you are off a few degrees any way
unless working EME with a very large array or dish.

In 1963 when I started flying, the compass pointed true north at this
location.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com