[TowerTalk] Inverted vee characteristics

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Inverted vee characteristics
From: "Richard DiDonna NN3W" <nn3w@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 13:09:28 -0400
For the upcoming contest season, I'm planning on putting up a 3 element
inverted vee beam.  The beam would have a common reflector and two driven
elements - I would use the driven element/reflector pair that I want to use
depending on my desired direction (either northeast towards Europe) or
southwest for sweepstakes.

I've launched two sets of ropes on either side of two trees that will support
the end and the "boom".  Unfortunately given my yard shape, I may have launched
one rope too high - about 80 feet.

I say unfortunately because the angles of the inverted vee when drawn down with
ropes would be an acute angle (about 60 degrees).

Is there an angle that is really too narrow for an inverted vee (i.e., less
than 90 or 60 degrees) that winds up making the antenna essentially two
verticals fed from the top?

73 Rich NN3W