Re: [TowerTalk] And now for something completelydifferent(TrueNorth)

To: "Mike, K6BR" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>,"'K8RI on TowerTalk'" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>,<TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] And now for something completelydifferent(TrueNorth)
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 17:44:59 -0700
At 04:34 PM 8/27/2006, Mike, K6BR wrote:

>Another good reason to use zip code calculator furnished by the government,
>see my previous posts. I cannot understand why people come up with so many
>complicated ways of doing something so simple.

Zip codes do have some problems.. the lat/lon in the database may not
reflect where the actual mailing addresses are..

Example: Jet Propulsion Lab is 91109, and is at the far northwest corner of
Pasadena on the border with LaCanada-Flintridge.  However, if you do a
lat/lon lookup, it comes up with the position of the US Mail distribution
center, which is 5 miles or so to the east. Granted, this is something like
10-20 seconds worth of solar noon offset, but it's something to be aware of.

A bigger factor is the "equation of time", represented by that funky
analemma on some maps and globes.  Depending on the time of year, solar
transit occurs earlier or later than mean noon calculated from your
longitude.  I assume the Naval Observatory website takes this into account.
The cadastral one certainly does.

OTOH, if you align with when the sun is truly highest in the sky (as
opposed to some modern new fangled approach like looking at a clock or
watch), you will get pretty close to north.  The trick is knowing when the
sun is highest, because it doesn't change very quickly. If you're using a
surveyor's transit or sextant or similar optical instrument, you can do it,
but having tried this with the "stick in the ground and marking on the
dirt" approach, it's pretty darn tough.  For one thing, the sun is a half
degree wide, so the shadow doesn't have all that sharp an edge.

If you want to use the Stonehenge era stick in the ground technique, you're
much better off to measure two places where the sun is at the same
elevation angle (say, around 10AM and 2PM, local solartime), and bisect
it.  The elevation of the sun is changing a lot faster then, so it's easier
to set the marks.

hey.. we argue about tenths of a dB here on the list.. why not argue about
tenths of a degree in orientation.  If you're trying to outdo W6AM, and
aligning your South London rhombic, you don't want to be pointing at some
northern suburb instead, do you?

I think everyone should try and go do this, by several different
means.  It's a nice picnic type project especially if there are kids
around.  It's noticeably harder than it seems to get a real good measurement.