Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Finding True North Using the Moon

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Finding True North Using the Moon
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 08:57:21 -0700
I traced the originator of The true north query, back to Bruce, WA3AFS....
Found his Address via qrz.com,  of 260 New Salem South Road, Voorheesville
NY.  12186.

Assuming that is his tower location, Alignment can be determined in about 20
seconds,
by bringing up the address on Google Maps.

I captured the Google map code for the map and pasted here.   Click on:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=260+New+Salem+South+Road+Voorheesville+NY&ie=UTF8&z=14&ll=42.62316,-73.966227&spn=0.026399,0.047464&om=0

If his QTH was in sectionalized land, (Townships, Sections, Quarter
Sections, Baseline Road, etc)  N/S would be obvious and easy, as major
streets often  run True North and South and East - West.  But no........ it
will take an additonal 20 seconds or so.....

I tried using the photo in Bruce's QRZ listing, to pinpoint the tower on
Google photo,  but for his location, the Google photo is not high
resolution.  So, simply locate the tower with the Google  Map function and
drag the tower location on the  map to the edge of the google map frame
which runs true north and south, and walk your eye  up (or down) the map
until it intersects with an identifiable ground feature that you can see
from the tower.  Eyeball align  the boom to that feature and you will
probably be within a degree of true north.

73, DX, de Pat AA6EG aa6eg@hotmail.com;
                  Skype:  Sparky599