Re: [TowerTalk] MARB-550

To: "'Alan L. Whitman'" <alan7114p@whidbey.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MARB-550
From: "Mike, K6BR" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:17:45 -0700
Alan,

I would do exactly as you suggested and spec for the square footage plus a
bit because that makes good sense and that's what I did.  I always felt that
there is more torque on the rotator in high winds when the whole tower
rotates, just like a very long screwdriver gives you more torque or leverage
on a screw.

I use a Yaesu G-1000DX with no problems turning a 3 element steppir and
tower, before that I had a small Kenpro 400 that worked for 15 years turning
a A3S and tower, it was still working when I replaced it.

Mike

I am thinking about purchasing the MA-550 with the MARB base (i.e.
rotating tower).  What I have not been able to figure out is what size
rotator to buy.  Do I just use the wind load area for the antennas, or
do I add something for the torque needed to turn the tower itself.  It
seems that it must take more force to rotate the whole thing vs. the
antennas and mast alone.

73 de Alan K6ZY

It has removed 73 spam emails to date.