Re: [TowerTalk] Dismal Ground Rod / Hammer Drill Results Today

To: "Dave Tipton" <dave@lodave.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dismal Ground Rod / Hammer Drill Results Today
From: Dave NØRQ <n0rq-lists@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:27:09 -0500
Here in the heavy Texas clay soils, there is an easy way to put in ground
rods.
I'm pretty sure it has been mentioned here before, but here goes...

You must have a supply of water, preferably a hose, or at least a couple of
buckets.  Turn the hose on low, let it trickle in the spot where you want
the ground rod.  After a minute, take the rod and push it down with
your hands, then lift it out, letting the water run in the hole for a
second,
then push it in again, pull it out, over and over.  Each time, the rod will
go in farther.  After a few times, you won't pull the rod all the way out,
just partway.

It is really easy, and pretty quick.  No tools required, except for
the last foot or so, you'll need the sledge hammer to finish it off.

- Dave N0RQ
www.powerlinenoise.com