[TowerTalk] rohn botlts/nuts question

To: "TowerTalk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] rohn botlts/nuts question
From: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 20:05:24 -0500
Following the thread about 'innies & outties'.

Overtightening will squish the tower legs.

In my business of high angle construction, we didn't overtighten the nuts on
our
scaffolding.
They were tough enough to get apart after a year of weather.

So we 'double-nutted' the 5/16th bolts that went through the pipe scaffold legs.

On Chicago's Downtown Loyola campus, we had more pipe scaffold then on the
Statue of
Liberty. Ground to top, not one nut/bolt came out.

Does anyone think this approach would be useful in tower work?

Bill H. in Chicagoland
webcams at http://24.14.49.4:8080
weather at http://hhweather.webhop.org